Mons Communal Cemetery
Mons Communal Cemetery is located in the north east of the town of Mons, on the Chemin de la Procession.
Mons remained in German hands from the Battle of Mons (23 August 1914) until the arrival of the Canadian Corps on 11 November 1918. The communal cemetery was extended by the Germans on its north side and in this extension, now part of the town cemetery, were buried Russian, French, Italian, Romanian and Belgian soldiers, as well as German and Commonwealth. The 4th Canadian and 1st Casualty Clearing Stations, besides field ambulances, were posted in the town after the Armistice. They opened a new cemetery (Mons British Cemetery) but the graves made there were removed later to the communal cemetery.
There are now 393 Commonwealth burials or commemorations of the First World War in the Cemetery, including the grave of Harry Ormerod (Grave Ref. VI. E. 9), of the 2nd/6th Battalion, Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment).
|266209 PRIVATE / H. ORMEROD / DUKE OF WELLINGTON'S REGT. / 9TH JUNE 1917. AGE 20 / IN MEMORY / OF OUR DEARLY LOVED SON / WHO DIED TO SAVE LOVED ONES|