Mendinghem Military Cemetery
Mendinghem Military Cemetery is located 17 km north west of Ypres town centre, on the N308 connecting Ypres to Poperinghe and on to Oost-Cappel.
The Commonwealth War Graves Commission website describes how "Mendinghem, like Dozinghem and Bandaghem, were the popular names given by the troops to groups of casualty clearing stations posted to this area during the First World War. In July 1916, the 46th (1st/1st Wessex) Casualty Clearing Station was opened at Proven and this site was chosen for its cemetery. The first burials took place in August 1916. In July 1917, four further clearing stations arrived at Proven in readiness for the forthcoming Allied offensive on this front and three of them, the 46th, 12th and 64th, stayed until 1918. From May to July 1918, while the German offensive was at its height, field ambulances were posted at Proven. The cemetery was closed (except for one later burial) in September 1918. There are now 2,391 Commonwealth burials of the First World War in this cemetery and 52 German war graves. The cemetery was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield."
The cemetery is the last resting place of Bernard Ormerod (Grave Ref. X. B. 40) and George H. Ormerod (Grave Ref. IX. D. 27).
Bernard's two brothers, Benjamin and William, were also killed during the First World War.
|116087 L/BOMBARDIER / B. ORMEROD / ROYAL FIELD ARTILLERY / 22ND APRIL 1918. AGE 23|
|59515 GUNNER / G.H. ORMEROD / ROYAL GARRISON ARTILLERY / 21ST FEBRUARY 1918. AGE 32 / EVER REMEMBERED / FROM HIS LOVING WIFE MARY|