Spoilbank Cemetery is located 4.5 kilometres south of Ypres town centre. The Cemetery takes its name from the bank created using the spoil from the old Ypres-Comines Canal which runs nearby.
The Cemetery was begun in February 1915, and used by troops holding this sector until March 1918. It was enlarged after the Armistice when graves were brought in from the battlefields of Ypres. The Cemetery contains 520 burials and commemorations of the First World War. 125 of the burials are unidentified and special memorials are erected to 11 casualties known or believed to be buried among them.
Spoilbank Cemetery contains the grave of Willie Ormerod (Grave Ref. II. A. 2.), of the Royal Field Artillery, who died on 29 September 1917.
|116740 GUNNER / W. ORMEROD / ROYAL FIELD ARTILLERY / 29TH SEPTEMBER 1917. AGE 22 / REST IN PEACE|