Vlamertinghe New Military Cemetery
Vlamertinghe New Military Cemetery is located 5 Km west of Ypres town centre and to the south of the village of Vlamertinghe.
For much of the First World War, Vlamertinghe (now Vlamertinge) was just outside the normal range of German shell fire and the village was used both by artillery units and field ambulances. Burials were made in the original Military Cemetery until June 1917, when the New Military Cemetery was begun in anticipation of the Allied offensive launched on this part of the front in July. Although the Cemetery continued in use until October 1918, most of the burials are from July to December 1917. The Cemetery now contains 1,813 Commonwealth burials of the First World War, including the grave of Evan Ormerod (Grave Ref. XII. E. 13.), of the Royal Garrison Artillery, who died on 17 November 1917.
|174983 GUNNER / EVAN ORMEROD / ROYAL GARRISON ARTILLERY / 17TH NOVEMBER 1917. AGE 30 / BELOVED HUSBAND OF S. ORMEROD / "ALWAYS FAITHFUL" / HIS WIFE. ALSO WIN AND JESS.|