Faubourg d'Amiens Cemetery
Faubourg-d'Amiens Cemetery is in the western part of the town of Arras in the Boulevard du General de Gaulle, near the Citadel, approximately 2 kilometres due west of the railway station, and immediately west of the Arras Memorial and the Arras Flying Services Memorial.
The Commonwealth section of the Faubourg d'Amiens Cemetery was begun in March 1916, behind the French military cemetery established earlier. It continued to be used by field ambulances and fighting units until November 1918. The Cemetery was enlarged after the Armistice when graves were brought in from the battlefields and from two smaller cemeteries in the vicinity. The Cemetery now contains 2,650 Commonwealth burials of the First World War and 10 Commonwealth burials of the Second World War. The graves in the French military cemetery were removed after the war to other burial grounds and the land they had occupied was used for the construction of the Arras Memorial and Arras Flying Services Memorial.
|16/42984 PRIVATE / J. RIGBY / THE KING'S LIVERPOOL REGT. /
3RD JUNE 1917. AGE 38 / REST IN PEACE / HIS LOVING WIFE EDITH
(Grave Ref. V. G. 22.)
"Husband of E. Rigby, of Station Rd., Parbold, Wigan."
Commonwealth War Graves Commission Debt of Honour Register