Grandcourt Road Cemetery, Grandcourt
Grandcourt is a village about 11 kilometres north-north-east of the town of Albert.
Grandcourt Road Cemetery is 1 kilometre south of the village, in the direction of Thiepval. It is in a remote location in fields, and is accessed by a small track from what the troops called Stump Road.
The Cemetery was created in 1917, from bodies found nearby.
On the crest of the rise behind the Cemetery was situated the German position known as Stuff Redoubt - part of the German main second line, which was taken by the 10th Battalion, Cheshire Regiment, of 25th Division, on 9 October 1916.
Grandcourt was first reached on 1 July 1916, by men of the 36th (Ulster) Division, but no reinforcements reached these few weak parties, and most were pushed back.
The cemetery contains a few graves of men of the Ulster Division, but most are of men of the 19th (Western) Division, who fell during attacks here on 18 and 19 November 1916, hampered by snow showers and bitter weather. These represented the last British attacks of the 1916 battle in the Thiepval sector.
|23206 PRIVATE / J.A. HOLDSWORTH / EAST LANCASHIRE REGIMENT /
14TH NOVEMNER 1916. AGE 25 / SD/406 PRIVATE / J. COOK / ROYAL SUSSEX
REGIMENT / 21ST OCTOBER 1916
(Grave Ref. B. 48.)
John Arthur Holdsworth - "son of Benjamin and Emily Holdsworth, of 56, Glebe St., Burnley."
Commonwealth War Graves Commission Debt of Honour Register