Damascus Commonwealth War Cemetery
The Cemetery is approximately 5 kilometres south-west of Damascus City Centre, in an area known as Sabara (Arabic for prickly pear). The Cemetery is amongst an area of prickly pear plants, which is located behind apartment blocks.
The Cemetery dates from the First World War. The Second World War burials began in 1941 during the operations against the Vichy French, and later on graves were moved into the Cemetery from civilian burial grounds, Deraa French Military Cemetery, and from scattered sites in the areas where the fighting occurred.
The Cemetery contains the grave of Edward Ormerod (Grave Ref. J. 22.), who died in 1941, whilst serving with King's Own Royal Regiment (Lancaster).