The number of IGI records for Ormerods noted in Chagford, is due to an individual's submission to the IGI, in which he gives the place of birth for all the children of George Ormerod (1785-1873) and Sarah (née Latham) as Chagford.
This George Ormerod is the famous Historian of Cheshire, and he and his children all form part of the Ormerods of Tyldesley. The claim that his children were all born in Chagford would appear to be incorrect.
One Ormerod who is known to have lived in Chagford, is George Wareing Ormerod, son of the above George.
In the 1937 edition of Burke's Landed Gentry George Wareing Ormerod is
described as 'M.A., F.G.S., of Chagford, Devon'.
George was a geologist who wrote A classified index to the Transactions, Proceedings and Quarterly journal of the Geological society of London : including all the memoirs and notices to the end of 1855 (1858).
In a small history of Chagford, The Great Little Chagford Book by Chips Barber, reference is made to 'Mr Ormerod', at the time that the new Market House had its foundation stone laid in 1862.
"History relates that "Mr Ormerod then placed on a hollow of the lower stone a glass tube containing photographic views of the old Market House and a list of parish officers and building committee. This being covered with a metal plate, Mrs Hames was presented with a trowel, with which she spread the mortar; the stone then slowly descended as the band played the National Anthem.
At the end of the proceedings: "Three cheers were then cordially given for Mrs Hames and the ladies, and these were followed by cheers for the rector (Mr Hames), the Lord of the Manor the churchwardens and Mr Ormerod. The band then struck up a lively march, and the meeting, the largest that had taken place at Chagford in many years, then dispersed."
George Sumner Ormerod, late of the Royal Munster Fusiliers, is buried in the churchyard of St Michael's The Archangel in Chagford, and photos of his grave can be found by clicking on the link St Michael's The Archangel.
|The new Market House in Chagford|