Thomas Ormerod


Private 6629
1st Bn, Border Regiment

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission Debt of Honour Register simply notes Thomas as "T. Ormerod".

The fact that the initial 'T' stood for Thomas was discovered in Glory is No Compensation - The Border Regiment at Gallipoli, 1915 by Ralph May with Stuart Eastwood and Clive Elderton.

This work further notes that Thomas was drafted to the 1st Battalion, Border Regiment, on 31 July 1915, and that he was born and enlisted in Blackburn, Lancashire.

The Soldiers Died in the Great War Database also notes that Thomas was born and enlisted in the Army in Blackburn.

Thomas died of wounds on 10 September 1915, and is buried in Alexandria (Chatby) Military and War Memorial Cemetery in Egypt (Grave Ref. H. 36).

In British Regiments at Gallipoli Ray Westlake describes the movements and activities of 1st Battalion, Border Regiment, from March 1915 until the end of the Gallipoli campaign.

The entries from 30 July 1915 until the end of August are shown below.


Relieved (30th) and to "Y" Ravine. "C" Company remained in as garrison to trench J10.


To forward area (1st) - firing line running from the sea through Fusilier Bluff to barricade in trench Jl3; reserve line - Trolley Ravine; Headquarters - Border Ravine. War Diary records (4th) an attempt by G.O.C. Division to contact the enemy via an interpreter. Firing ceased along front and 2 khaki flags were waved from 1st Border line. These were waved for some 20 minutes but the enemy ignored them and opened fire of the position with a mountain battery. Relieved by 2nd Royal Fusiliers at Fusilier Bluff and to "X" Beach (16th). Later to "V" Beach and embarked for Suvla Bay. Landed early (17th) and to bivouacs near Punar. Moved forward during evening and attached to 158th and 159th Brigades (53rd Division) in Sulajik sector. Later withdrew to Azmak Dere. Attack on Scimitar Hill (21st). Advanced in support of 1st Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers 3.30 p.m. - "C" and "D" Companies leading, "A" in support, "B" in reserve. Message received front Second-Lieutenant Armstrong of "D" Company about 5 p.m. reporting that he was within 50 yards of summit and in need of support. Regimental history records that casualty figures were mounting - by 6.15 p.m. only Lieutenant Clague remained unwounded out of the 15 officers that had gone into action. By 8 p.m. survivors of scattered companies formed line below crest of hill. Battalion later ordered to retire. Lieutenant Clague’s party held on in forward position until ordered to retire during early hours (22nd). Relieved during night (22nd) and moved back to reserve positions. Casualties - 14 officers wounded, 38 other ranks killed, 274 wounded, 64 missing. Working party to "A" Beach (27th) and shelled on way. No 11 Platoon, "C" Company loosing [sic] 6 killed, 11 wounded by a single shell. Later to bivouacks just north of "A" Beach. To forward area reserve line near One Tree Gully (29th). One company in firing line."

The Army Register of Soldiers' Effects records that after his death £3 0s 9d was sent to each of his two half sisters: Mrs Esther Mary Ashworth and Mrs Sarah Ann Turner.

The Colne and Nelson Times War Album 1914-15 contained the following entry for Thomas:



Private Thomas Ormerod, of the 1st Border Regiment, died at Alexandria, on the 10th September, 1915, as the result of a shrapnel wound received at Gallipoli. He was 31 years of age, unmarried, and a native of Blackburn, but his parents, to whom the intimation was sent from the War Office, live at 4, Shuttleworth Street, Earby. He was a Reservist, with 12 years service."