Oliver Ormrod


Private 202739
1st/4th Bn, The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment

Oliver was killed in action on 9 September 1916, fighting with the 1st/4th Battalion, The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment. At the time of Oliver's death the Battalion formed part of 164th Brigade, 55th (West Lancashire Division).

At this time 1st/4th Battalion were fighting in the area of Delville Wood.

In British Battalions on the Somme 1916, Ray Westlake describes the activities of the Battalion from July 1916 through to the date of Oliver's death:

"1/4th Battalion (T.F.). 164th Brigade, 55th (West Lancashire) Division: Arrived Longuevillette (21/7). To Franqueville (22/7), Fienvillers (24/7). Entrained at Candas for Méricourt (25/7) and from there marched to Méaulte. To Happy Valley (26/7), Dublin and Casement Trenches near Guillemont (30/7). Took turns in line near Arrow Head Copse. Two platoons of 'D' Company attacked (5/8) - some ground gained (6/8). Relieved and to bivouacs south-west of Carnoy. To reserve positions Trônes Wood (7/8). Assembled east and west of Trônes Wood-Guillemont Road for attack on Guillemont (8/8) - War Diary notes confused fighting and loss of direction. Casualties - 221. Relieved and to Carnoy (9/8). To Méricourt (14/8). Entrained for Abbeville (19/8) and from there marched via Cambron and Gouy to billets at Saigneville. Entrained for Méricourt (30/8) and from there to Millencourt. Casualties for August - 301. To camp near Fricourt (6/9). Took over trenches running from eastern side of Delville Wood towards Ginchy (7/9). Attacked (9/9) - Regimental historian records Battalion going forward at 5.25 a.m. - first objective - Hop Alley gained but second wave did not succeed in reaching Ale Alley. Hop Alley came under intense machine gun barrage and gunfire - survivors of 'B' and 'C' Companies withdrew to their original line. Casualties - 236. Relieved from forward area and to billets near Fricourt (12/9)."

The Battalion War Diary of the 1st/4th Battalion for the 9 September 1916 reads:

"Heavy shelling all day by our artillery. D Coy was withdrawn from DELVILLE WOOD, and was in support.

At 4 p.m. the barrage started and at 4.45 p.m. the Division on our right attacked. Our objective was to capture HOPALLEY with B and C Coys, and the LANCS FUSILIERS were to go over us and capture ALE ALLEY.

The Battalion assaulted at 5.25 p.m. and by entering HOP ALLEY, gained its first objective.

The second 'wave' failed to reach ALE ALLEY, and HOP ALLEY, being heavily shelled, and becoming untenable under intense Machine Gun barrage, was evacuated by B and C Coys; and the original line was taken up in PILSEN LANE.

Supporting coys from the 1/8th K.L.R. and 1/4th R.LANC.R. were sent up to strengthen the line, and working parties were despatched, to consolidate the position.




2/Lt  PYKE W.E.

2/Lt  FALBY E.F.



             BOLINGBROKE C.B.


2/LT     GRAY W.V.

             POLLARD P.

             VIPOND F.R.

             FORSHAW C.H.

             BURY W.H.



Oliver has no known grave and his name is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial to the Missing (Pier and Face 11 A).

The Soldiers Died in the Great War Database records that Oliver lived in Lambeth, Surrey, but enlisted in the Army in Oldham.

Prior to joining the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment, Oliver served with the Manchester Regiment, with the Regimental Number 3908.

Oliver's name commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial