The Abraham Ormerod Medical Centre, Todmorden, Yorkshire
The Abraham Ormerod Medical Centre was a gift to the town from the old textile family which operated mills in the area.
The Clinic was built on the site of Ridgefoot Mill, and was opened on Saturday 23 July 1938 by the Princess Royal - the first time a member of the Royal Family had visited Todmorden.
Crowds lined the route and a special area was provided for the childen; British Movietone recorded the scene. A bouquet was presented to the Princess Royal by Miss Valerie Sagar on behalf of the Trustees.
The Centre provided the most modern accommodation and facilities, and was conceived by the Trustees of the Will of Abraham Ormerod.
The Centre has now gained some notoriety as the place where Harold Shipman began his career as a G.P.
|The Abraham Ormerod Medical Centre|
|The Princess Royal at the opening of the Abraham Ormerod Medical Centre in 1938|
The above article was researched and written by Ron Ormerod