The Ormerod Home, St Anne's-on-Sea
The Ormerod Home, which was just in front of the sand dunes, was erected by the Misses Ormerod of The Elms, Lytham, formerly of Todmorden, in memory of their father Mr Abraham Ormerod of Todmorden, a retired cotton manufacturer and magistrate, who died in 1888.
The ancestry of Abraham (1804-1888) and his daughters can be traced through the Ormerods of Stansfield & Cliviger.
The Home was donated to the Church of England Sisterhood, and was opened by Lady Eleanor Cecily Clifton in 1890.
Over the years, thousands of children spent some time here from the industrial towns, to convalesce in the bracing sea air. The Ormerod Home pets have been a feature of this Home since its foundation.
Originally the Home could accommodate 40 children, but it was greatly extended, and by 1939 could take in 100 children. They came from the manufacturing districts of Lancashire and Cheshire as well as Leeds, Liverpool and Crewe.
The Home was demolished in 1984 to make way for a luxury housing development, but its name lives on in the Ormerod Trust.
St Anne's High School for girls, on North Promenade, was built in 1887 for the Misses Sharpe and Hall. It expanded into the adjoining house, and in 1924 moved its present site at Windermere. This building became the Princes Hotel in 1939, and since 1984 has been owned by the Ormerod Trust.
In 2006 the Ormerod Trust is still in being, and they own 16 houses for people with learning difficulties in St Anne's.
|The Ormerod Home|
|The Ormerod Home Pets|
|Princes Hotel, taken over by the Ormerod Trust in 1984|
The above article was written by Ron Ormerod, with sincere thanks to Mrs E. Bevan, of Lytham Library, for the help she gave.