Ormerod is situated in Cliviger in East Lancashire, about a mile and a half east of Towneley Hall, and midway between Worsthorne and Mereclough. It is the site of the former Ormerod Hall, dismantled in 1947, with stables and outbuildings now converted into dwellings.
On this site stood some kind of medieval farm protected on its east side by the deep ravine of the River Brun.
It has been known as Ormerod since the thirteenth century, and this name means the clearing or 'rod land' of a man named Orm.
This name was fairly common in Norse and early Norman times, and means 'dragon' or 'serpent'.
It is unlikely that this Orm would have gone to the trouble of clearing the land, if he did not have family to settle there, and so it is presumed that the Ormerods are descendents of this Orm.
Photographs and pictures of Ormerod House can be found by clicking on the link below.